Waterbrook Kids Holy Week Activities
Updated: Apr 7, 2021
Waterbrook Kid's Ministry is providing some special resources for parents to help make Holy Week a special time of understanding for your children. Plus, a special reward for those who attend Palm Sunday, Good Friday and Easter as part of your family celebration this holiday.
Palm Sunday, Good Friday and Easter are all important parts of the Gospel story of Jesus that children should understand.
Pastor of Children's Ministry Yun Li has introduced an incentive program to help parents get kids excited about these special holy days in the Christian calendar.
FAMILY HOLY WEEK DEVOTIONAL GUIDE
Below on this page you'll find a set of devotions Pastor Yun has written as a guide for families to discuss what happened in the week leading up to Easter. Each day includes a scripture reading, some discussion questions, a prayer, and an activity you can add for a hands on element to the discussion.
*A downloadable and printable version is also available below.
KID'S HOLY WEEK CHALLENGE
Kids who join us for all three church events during this special week will get their card stamped and receive a special certificate of completion from Pastor Yun! They should bring their card for the Palm Sunday service or class, Good Friday walk-thru event, and Easter service/class to receive their award. (Cards will be handed out in children's classes at 11:00 am on Palm Sunday, March 28, 2021.)
FAMILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE FOR HOLY WEEK
Click Here for a downloadable version
Read: Mark 1:1-11 & Zechariah 9:9-10
· What do these two passages teach us about Jesus?
· What would you feel if you were in Jerusalem among the people on that Palm Sunday? What do you think you would do?
· People welcomed Jesus as their king when He entered the city. How can we show people that Jesus is our King today?
Do: Make palm branches with your handprints using green paints.
Pray: Acknowledge Jesus to be King over our lives.
Read: Luke 19:45-46
· Is it hard for you to picture “an angry Jesus”?
· What made Jesus angry?
· Is there any sin in your life that needs to be driven out?
Do: Walk around the house and pray over each room.
Pray: Ask God to help us become people of prayers.
Read: Mark 12:41-44; Luke 21:1-4; 2 Corinthians 9:6-7
· What made the widow’s offering stand out to Jesus?
· Do you think Jesus values more about our money or our heart? Why?
· What can you offer to Jesus?
Do: Make a list of things you can do for others or pray for others, especially those in your family and Waterbrook Bible Fellowship.
Pray: Ask God to help us be generous with what He has given us.
Read: Matthew 26:14-16
· What would you feel if one of your good friends says bad things about you?
· What do you think Jesus felt when Judas betrayed Him?
· How can we be loyal to Jesus?
Do: Count 30 dimes (M&Ms, Skittles, etc.) and put them in a draw string bag/lunch sack. Talk about what might be the reason that Judas betrayed Jesus.
Pray: Ask God to help us give our whole heart to Jesus.
Read: John 13:1-17
· What did Jesus’ example teach us?
· Think of the people who serve you every day. How can you show appreciation for their services?
· Whom can you serve?
Do: Act out Jesus’ foot-washing by washing each other’s feet.
Pray: Ask God to develop in us a servant heart.
Read: Mark 15:21-47
· Where were Jesus’ friends?
· Who do you think you would be if you were at the foot of the cross (the soldier, the woman, the bystander, etc.)?
Do: Participate Good Friday Walk Through Experience at Waterbrook Bible Fellowship.
Pray: Confess our sins and thank God for His forgiveness through Jesus’ sacrifice.
Read: John 3:16
· Why did Jesus have to die?
· What do you imagine Jesus’ friends were feeling on this day?
· How do you know Jesus really loves you?
· Sing “Jesus loves me” together.
· Review what Jesus has gone through during the holy week.
Pray: Thank God for His sacrificial love for us.
Read: Matthew 28:1-10
· What does Jesus’ resurrection mean for believers?
· How does Jesus’ resurrection impact our lives today?
Do: Enjoy a sunrise breakfast together as a family before coming to church.
Pray: Praise God for His resurrection power and thank Him for the hope we have in Jesus.